RE: Importance of archivelog : searching for good document

  • From: "Powell, Mark" <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:44:47 +0000

Not running the database in archive log mode means forward recovery is not
possible hence if you have to restore you will lose data.  In our environment
that would be a disaster.  Product goes out the door every few minutes.  If we
had to restore from last night we would have no way to identify product that
was shipped and for which we need to bill.  Orders would be lost.  Warranty
claims entered and processed would be lost.  Checks would have been cut for
which we have no supporting payment claims.  Lack of forward recovery would
create a mountain of discrepancies that would take months to clear up.