Re: Importance of archivelog : searching for good document

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:56:31 -0600

On the flip side:

If you have the luxury of a cold backup, say daily or weekly, and you have sufficient disk space, you can keep enough online redo logs to keep your environment safe between backups. Then, if your backup is complete, plus all of the related redo, you should be able to accomplish a point in time recovery. Sort of a PITA PITR. Rare, but certainly possible.

Some of the benefits of archive logs:
- as noted, allows live backup
- supports traditional PITR
- fallback for standby database log shipping, especially data guard
- historical data mining using log miner (or golden gate?)

I'm sure others will add more
/Hans

On 10/03/2015 11:39 AM, kyle Hailey wrote:

Does any one know of a good document or blog that argues strongly for archive log?

Most of the stuff I see says you can use archive log if you want but you don't have to and if you don't it just means you have to take cold backups and can't do point in time recovery

The way I look at it is point in time recovery is crucial because you will corrupt your database at some point without archive log it's just matter of time, a ticking time bomb.

- Kyle