RE: Import Question

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:54:27 -0700

I don't think Jared meant to just turn off automatic archiving, I think he
meant to take the database out of archivelog mode (turning off archiving
completely, not just auto-archiving).  Seems to me that turning off archiving
will save you the extra I/O of reading your online logs and writing to the
archives - which could make a significant impact considering you're already
performing a heavy I/O operation to begin with, especially if you have your
archivelogs on the same disk with other database files (not recommended, I
know).  Also, it will save you from having to deal with the trouble of filling
up your archive log dest, and/or having to constantly delete or back them up.

Regards,
Brandon Allen