Re: If you have a databaselink to a databae in the same server you should be using ipc

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:59:36 +0100

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:13:23 +0200, Carel-Jan Engel
<cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The first time I read this comment I was simply too flabbergasted to
> react. Thank you Jared.
> If you want to suffer from bad performance due to totally unnecessary
> routing of your local traffic through your network stack, be my guest.

I'm not going to touch the issue of documentation of systems, just
comment on the above. I'm not going to disagree that IPC is
significantly faster than IP, just disagree that this *implies* poor
performance. Its like my objection to BAARF - not that the technical
argument is wrong - just a question as to whether it is relevant. Just
as when considering RAID as a performance bottleneck you better make
sure you have an IO limited system, in this case you'd need to make
sure your network communications are what is eating up your time. If
they aren't (doing loads of unnecessary sql, missing appropriate
indexes/stats whatever) then increasing the rate at which data flows
between client and server can *at best* have no discernible effect. If
you manage to chuck more work at an overloaded server by doing this
then things aren't going to be exactly wonderful.

Even if you do find that network IO *is* the dominant bottleneck
(large SQL*Net duration) I'd wager a pound to a penny that this will
be down to the app doing row at a time logic, and whilst changing the
comms channel will be worthwhile *in this case* it is still likely
that fixing the code would be better.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA