ITL Waits

  • From: David Sharples <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:47:56 +0100

9.2.0.5 <http://9.2.0.5> Linux
 In our statspack reports over a 15 minute period , we are getting waits on
enqueue (about 880 seconds over 15 minutes with quite a lot of sessions -
about 55% of the time events
  Avg
Total Wait wait Waits
Event Waits Timeouts Time (s) (ms) /txn
---------------------------- ------------ ---------- ---------- ------
--------
enqueue 3,132 1,868 881 281 44.2
 and the enqueue section has

-> Enqueue stats gathered prior to 9i should not be compared with 9i data
-> ordered by Wait Time desc, Waits desc

Eq Requests Succ Gets Failed Gets Waits Time (ms) Time (s)
-- ------------ ------------ ----------- ----------- -------------
------------
CF 1,985 1,985 0 328 5.17 2
TX 49,187 49,187 0 16 20.88 0
XR 293 293 0 293 .94 0
HW 41 41 0 41 .71 0
FB 47 47 0 42 .62 0
PS 122 122 0 26 .85 0
JQ 12 6 6 6 1.00 0

Looking at this
select * from v$enqueue_stat where total_wait# > 0 order by CUM_WAIT_TIME
 The highest enqueues are
  INST_ID EQ TOTAL_REQ# TOTAL_WAIT# SUCC_REQ# FAILED_REQ# CUM_WAIT_TIME
---------- -- ---------- ----------- ---------- ----------- -------------
 1 PS 271770 171064 268304 3466 157939
1 CF 4565455 783578 4564846 608 1793046
1 TX 10172061 220417 10172014 47 59668034
 Now, TX is obviously highest by a long way, we were doing a lot of heavy
inserts / updates into a number of tables, so I was thinking initrans was
set incorrectly giving us ITL waits
 So I do
 Select distinct b.owner, b.object_name, b.object_type, a.value from
v$segstat a, v$segment_statistics b where a.obj# = b.obj# and
b.object_namein (select object_name from dba_objects) and
a.statistic_name = 'ITL waits' and a.value > order by a.value
 and I am seeing indexes with between 1 and 70 ITL waits for the indexes
concerened. What I dont know is, is that a lot of waits to warrant changing
inittrans?
 Thanks