Re: IPC vs TCP

  • From: Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:37:22 -0400

"a little PL/SQL block that executed a few hundred thousand dbcalls"

I have a suspicion that Cary meant PL/SQL block running from Forms or something like that (I can't lookup in his book now - it's in the office). I recalls Forms place calls differently but I don't have significant experience with them to be honest.

On 23-Apr-08, at 8:26 PM, Finn Jorgensen wrote:
Strange. I was under the impression the TCP stack (on Unix at least) would switch you to IPC when it realized you were on the local loopback. Of course, I'm not a network guy and I haven't done extensive testing, so it's all hearsay.

Finn

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote: Jeff and I saw about a 55:1 response time improvement on a little PL/ SQL block that executed a few hundred thousand dbcalls in 2001 (this is the first case study in the Optimizing Oracle Performance book). We ran once connected to an alias with protocol=tcp, and then again using a different alias with protocol=beq. Then we ran test 1 again, then test 2 again, to eliminate the possibility that the performance improvement was just an artifact of db block buffer caching.

I don't have the repro case for the test we did, but it was something like a select of one row from a real table executed over and over again. It repeatedly ran about a minute through TCP and about a second through BEQ.

Cary Millsap