Re: IO rate for U320 SCSI 15K RPM Hard Drive

  • From: "lale obradovic" <cika.lale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael Erwin" <michael.erwin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:07:04 +0200

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for a great post!

Lale

On 9/28/06, Michael Erwin <michael.erwin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Lale,

One would expect to find it here:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/sm/WF06c/A1-1769079-1769113-1769113-1769139-1769139-16169139.html

Nothing really available on their site...

However, estimate IOPS is relatively easy with

Spindle IOPS = ((RPM/60)/3)*2

Or at least ~167 8k IOPS per spindle

To figure out User Data Transfer rates, use the following:

UDT=(Spindle Speed / 60 * Sectors Per Track * Bits per Sector * 8) /
1,000,000

Bits Per Sector as defined by HP can be here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11531_div/11531_div.HTML <
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11531_div/11531_div.HTML>

So BPS=512

The other two number we need is the platters used in this 146GB drive and
the physical platter size (3.5", 2.5", 1", and I would assume 3.5") to
determine an areal density or at least GB/Platter density to determine the
inner & outer range of UDT. It will be a wide range considering Zone Bit
Recording (ZBR)

BTW, the whole U320 MB/Sec transfer is a U320 SCSI transfer rate and not
the user data transfer rate for the drive itself.

Michael Erwin Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd. http://www.hotsos.com Hotsos Symposium 2007 / March 4-8 Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...