I have a task to size a new db server.......

  • From: "Nelson, Allan" <anelson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:50:53 -0500

And I was reading Practical Oracle 8i.  Jonathon suggests 10,000 logical
I/O's per 100 MHZ of CPU and also indicates that 30 I/O's per second is
a conservative estimate for performance of any single disk.  He also
points out that no matter what the size of the disk is, it can only
handle about 9GB or so of "hot" data.  Since I have the current
production system, I can get the logical and physical I/O's fairly
easily and then build from there to estimate the new system in an easy
to understand spreadsheet. =20

I'm doing this in order to try and switch from the "The new system can
cost no more than X.  Please specify a box that will solve all our
performance problems." method that we have used in the past to a more
requirements driven, "we did the math and it says Y and BTW new hardware
does nothing for latching problems, how about that SQL", sort of
approach.

My question is are these numbers still a reasonable starting point?
Jonathon wrote in 2001 with respect to Oracle 8.1.5.  We are at 8.1.7.4
going to 9.2.0.5 in the same time frame when we acquire the server.  Has
any of this version upgrades invalidated any of these numbers.

I realize these are conservative numbers and that a certain multiplier
will be needed to produce the final estimate.

Thanks