Re: Hyperthreading

  • From: Jeremiah Peschka <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:13:54 -0700

It's for SQL Server, but in some testing done in 2012, the difference
between having HT on was negligible to slightly better than having HT off:
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/linchi_shea/archive/2012/01/22/performance-impact-hyperthreading-on-intel-westmere-ep-processors-x5690.aspx

Judging by the linked presentation on allthingsoracle.com, I suspect you
can come to the same conclusion about a properly configured Oracle system.
The bigger difference would be CPU queuing (as outlined in the
presentation) and workload. Ultimately, this is something that depends a
lot on workload and what you're primarily waiting on.

On the whole, I advocate not changing something unless you can empirically
prove that it will make a difference for your workload.

---
Jeremiah Peschka - Managing Director, Brent Ozar Unlimited
MCSE: Data Platform, MVP