Re: Huge number of DBA_DDL_LOCKS

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:17:17 -0000

The most significant thing in dba_ddl_locks is
the x$kgllk structure, which is the thing that
associates sessions with the objects in the
library cache that they are interested in.
Technically I think these are the things called
'breakable parse locks'.

dba_ddl_locks hides the cursors, but exposes
everything else. If you have about 100 sessions,
which had all executed procedures from about
100 packages, then I think you would have about
20,000 rows in dba_ddl_locks.  (One lock per
session for the package, one for the package body).

The number looks big, but isn't necessarily indicative
of anything meaningful unless we have some context
about your system.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof
  Dynamic Sampling - an investigation
March 2004 Charlotte OUG (www.cltoug.org) CBO Tutorial
April 2004 Iceland
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar