RE: Huge Partitions and Indexes, maybe compression

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:38:30 -0500

Michael,

        As one who has been headed down that path for some time, believe me it
is possible (without new hardware).  What you need is:

        1) Table compression does exist in 8.1.7.  Haven't tried it, yet.

        2) Find your largest index, maintain 3 times that in free disk space so
that you can rebuild.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA