How to use RMAN to PIT recover individual tables

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:05:45 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

In 10.1.0.5.0 on AIX, we had a situation where a few production tables were
accidentally dropped.  For various reasons, the final (and successful)
solution was to use RMAN to restore the database to a PIT before the drop
using a different server, then exp the data for imp back into Production.

This eventually worked, but it seems inefficient to recreate the whole
database when all I need is the data from one non-system TS.  The TS I'm
looking for, along with SYSTEM, SYSAUX, AND UNDO would comprise < 60% of the
total allocation for the DB, so I'd expect a recovery of that would be ~60%
of what it would take for the full DB.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  Here's some
possibly pertinent info:

 -- Two physical servers, both AIX 5.3
 -- No recovery catalog being used (controlfiles only)
 -- "filesperset = 4" set on the backup

I'm not able to get space to test this for a few weeks, but I'd like to see
if offlining the non-essential datafiles prior to the RESTORE would work.

Anyone doing something like this?  Thoughts?

TIA!
Rich