Re: How to store 50 Terabytes per day?

  • From: tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:40:24 -0600 (MDT)

A couple things are certain:

  - ETL would have to consist of inserts only once, no updates or deletes EVER.
    This goes back to the design of the data model and the proper understanding
    of time-variant data.  It's not hard, but so many people with experience in
the
    OLTP world can only think in terms of current-image data.
  - Current-image data would have to be implemented as either views or
    materialized views, if desired...
  - Along with the principle of insert only, partitioning by RANGE on a time
column
    will be crucial, with subpartitioning on a frequently-queried other column
being
    an important option to consider.  However, due to the volume of data, one
might
    well consider hourly partitions, which would consume almost the limit of
65,535
    partitions by itself if data retention is 7 years or so, making
subpartitioning not
    feasible...

Boy, would I love to get my hands on that database!  :-)

-Tim