Re: How to size UNDO for a database?

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:10:07 -0600

On 25/03/2013 1:02 PM, Apps DBA wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
> I would like to know how to analyze and size undo for a busy database or
> while design itself. As the transactions increasing for a busy DB like
> reporting or DW DB we usually face lot of jobs failing with snapshot too
> old error. Please share your knowledge.

You don't specify the version (or operating system) so I'm going to
assume you are on a currently supported version and platform - Oracle
Database Server 11g, or 10gR2 fully patched.

If you have Enterprise Manager, either Database Control or Cloud Control
(aka Grid Control), you can simply use the undo advisor

Undo Advisor is part of the base and does not require the Diagnostics
Pack - confirm for yourself by turning off the Diag pack in 'Setup' and
see whether the Advisor Central link is active.

Or use the recommendations in http://www.orafaq.com/node/1888

/Hans