Re: How to remove listener password?

  • From: david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:23:48 -0800 (PST)

>Ummm... that person would be the manager of the departed employee...for
>not doing his or her job properly.  Suppose the employee "left" due to
>an untimely fatal accident...who would you sue then?

If the manager couldn't show that a process was in place to safeguard the
passwords in use, the manager would be the one to sue or fire.  If I were a
stockholder or an employee who got laid off or lost a bonus due to business
losses (and with another job waiting in the wings just to be on the safe side
:), they caused me damages.
Why not?   Might be a way to get managers to do a better job of following
professional standards. :)

Another department at a client of mine had an employee change all the
passwords, then quit and go to work somewhere else.  Don't know how many
millions they'll spend to redo a bunch of work, when hauling the jack-a^^ into
court and threatening to take everything he owns might well have been a much
cheaper and faster way to fix the problem.  It would darn well make them a darn
sight less employable elsewhere and might cost them their new job.  Seems fair
to me.  Of course, it might be difficult to prove the employee did it.

If nothing else, that would discourage it from happening somewhere else.

Few policies (other than requiring two people to log in to the account because
each only knows 1/2 of the password) could prevent a lone employee who knew the
password from changing it on their own initiative and walking out the door.
Your example of a fatal accident didn't fall into the category of intentional
malicious damage.

(Now, if the ex-employee in question had said, "you didn't re-imburse my
expenses like you promised, and I can't find any other affordable recourse, so
you can have your data back when I get paid", I would have a much different
opinion on the matter.  Might be illegal, but at least it would have some basis
for being considered fair.)