Re: How to improve performance using Oracle Spatial

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ecandrietta@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:16:38 +0100

Eriovaldo,

    For event 10046 more isn't always better - the level you set (12)
asks for wait events plus bind variables - that means that each new
parameter you pass is traced. I think that 8 (just the waits) would have
been enough. Anyway, since your process is rather lengthy, I suggest you
manage to find some Unix-like command-line utilities and use something
such as grep to count, from the raw file, how many select/insert/update
statements you have in your file. I suspect a lot, which usually means
poor algorithms (SQL calls in loops). Also, try to page (with 'more' or
such a command) through a fair bit of your file to see if statements are
hard-coded (that is, variable are directly written in the statements) or
not (that is, you find references to :varname in your statements). If
your statements are hard-coded, the output of level 8 and level 12
shouldn't be very different, and it's no use wasting your time another
three hours ... In that case, set the cursor_sharing parameter to
"force" (I hate that, but we are studying), then try to trace with level
8, you should get a more manageable trace file. But if you have many,
many statements, it's the PL/SQL code that needs vigorous rewriting.

Hope that helps

SF