How to graph multi-series time-based SQL output?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:11:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

I have a Grid Control report containing a graph of:

SELECT
        key_value2,
        collection_timestamp,
        value "SIZE_MB"
FROM sysman.mgmt$metric_details
WHERE target_guid = ??EMIP_BIND_TARGET_GUID??
        AND target_type = 'oracle_database'
        AND metric_name = 'SQLUDMNUM'
        AND column_label = 'MY CUSTOM METRIC HERE'
        AND collection_timestamp BETWEEN ??EMIP_BIND_START_DATE?? AND
??EMIP_BIND_END_DATE??
        AND value > 400

The GC graph is nice in that it effortlessly displays multiple series
("key_value2") over time ("collection_timestamp").  However, I seem to have
to hard code the only filter for "value".  When the graph contains a couple
dozen different series it becomes unreadable and I need to manually edit the
report, adjust the "400" to something else and rerun it until the graph
becomes palatable -- for THIS run.  The next time I run it, I may have to
repeat this iteratively annoying process.

Anyone have a way to generate a single multiple-series time-based graph
based on *DYNAMIC* SQL output?  I've been looking at gnuplot, rrdtool, mrtg,
and the like, but the *DYNAMIC* part eludes me.

I'm open to most ideas, but my preference would be something that I could
hook into Apache/PHP, as a web-based solution would probably work better
over a slow VPN.

TIA!
Rich