Re: How to get rid of the domain in global_name?

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sol beach" <sol.beach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:00:03 +0200

Hi Sol, Dimitre,

UPDATE GLOBAL_NAME SET GLOBAL_NAME = 'my_domain';
commit;

update props$ set value$='<name>' where name = 'GLOBAL_DB_NAME' ;

Thanks, it worked perfectly and solved the problem.

By the way it is nice trap door feature. You may change the global_name from X to X.Y any time, but there is no (supported) way to turn it back to X.

For completeness for those who might encounter the same problem I add another workaround of the problem using supported features only.
1) change the default domain to some suitable name (using alter database rename global_name to "<db_name>.<domain>";)
2) set the parameter db_domain to the <domain> (see e.g. metalink note 137483.1 how to modify a spfile parameter)
3) use alias with the <domain> name suffix in the tnsnames.ora file

There is even more simple solution how to workaround the problem of the name resolution caused by the domain name - using the easy connect direct in the DB LINK. e.g.

create database link ich
connect to myuser identified by "xxxxx"
using '(DESCRIPTION =
   (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
   (CONNECT_DATA =
     (SERVER = DEDICATED)
     (SERVICE_NAME = myservice)
   )