How to do a savepoint in DBI/DBD::Oracle?

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:27:48 -0500

Hi all,
Any Perl hackers/mongers out there?

Is there a way to do a savepoint natively in DBI/DBD::Oracle?

Currently, we have implemented a savepoint via call to PL/SQL stored object.
Problem is, this PL/SQL object is called *frequently*.  And I was doing
performance profiling, and my #1 wait is 'SQL*Net message from client',
attributed to this PL/SQL call!  So, the call of Perl->PL/SQL->SQL->savepoint
is causing significant latencies.  I'm thinking Perl->savepoint would be more
efficient, with far less context switch overhead.

So, does anyone know if there's a "native" method to execute a savepoint from
Perl DBI?

Thanks,

-Mark

PS We are using DBD 1.34 and DBI 1.609.