How to disable SCSI write cache on RHEL

  • From: "Vishal Gupta" <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:56:49 +0100

Hi,

Does anyone know how to disable filesystem cache at Linux (RHEL4) level?  I
know it can be disable using filesytemio_options=directio|setall init.ora
parameters. But that does not protect the other non-database files in case of
server crash. We already have SAN attached disks, so there is plenty of SAN
cache to speed up the things. I want to avoid the risk of filesytem corruption
on linux server crash due to filesystem buffering/caching.

Someone on internet mentioned, one of the way is by executing following
command, but which is the config file which needs to be updated to make things
more persistent.

echo 1 > /proc/scsi/sg/allow_dio

Regards,
Vishal Gupta