Re: How to coalesce an LMT TS to drop extra datafiles?

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:18:06 -0700

On 01/02/2013 9:33 AM, Wolfgang Breitling wrote:
> Thanks Hans,
>
> I forgot ( to mention ) that "rebuild index(es)" part of the alter table move
> operation.
>
> You must live in a blessed world/environment(s) where people know why a
> particular index exists. In my world people who might have known that have
> left the company, or fell victim of a "rightsizing", 8 years ago.
It is indeed a blessed world.

My policy is that each and every index needs to justify it's existence
every 6 months (in an ideal world).

Based on naming conventions, which I try to use, this means that the
majority of the indexes are safe, and only those created for custom
tuning efforts will stand out.  Hopefully few.  Which means they can be
targeted for Usage monitoring.

/Hans