Re: How to clear UNDOTBS

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ecandrietta@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:14:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Enolvaldo,
I understand the frustration with an undo tablespace that is growing out of
control.  When I see this and temp occurring and it's not due to number of
transactions using these "work areas" of Oracle efficiently, I get a little
obsessive, as it is a quick indicator when a database is working hard vs. smart
in my book.

To save some typing, I'll point you towards OracleNerd with a shameless plug of
the site, where I wrote a guest post on Undo and it might answer some questions
for you-
http://www.oraclenerd.com/2009/11/undo-brain-damage.html

It has a number of scripts that may help you out. Afterwards, you might find
that you simply want to redirect your question to finding out what is using all
the undo- is it actually correct use of the undo or is something just not right
in the database.

Hope this helps,

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."