Re: How to caliculate the IO Demand for IOPS and ThroughtPut

  • From: Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbaprimatics@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 02:24:14 -0500

If Oracle is the only major software running on the server you should be
able to get this from just grabbing iostat and vmstat data. Oracle has a
free tool called OSWatcher (Google it) which I run on most of my servers.

I would confirm the iostat data with data from gv$filestats and some of the
values from gv$system_statistics for things like physical writes, reads,
amount of redo generated to make sure they fall in line as I don't always
trust the accounting I see in iostat.

If you have OEM/Grid Control installed you should be able to see all this
stuff without homegrown scripts.

You could also run some ash reports during peak hours and see what that
tells you. Look for ash* files in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory.