Re: How to Learn DB Designing

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sandeep.b@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:41:42 -0800

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Sandeep Kumar B <sandeep.b@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I am currently working as an Oracle DBA. I want to learn DB designing and
> to become a DB Architect.
> Please provide your valuable suggestion on how to proceed further to learn
> designing of database.

One of the best books on modeling.

Data Model Patterns: Conventions of Thought
http://www.amazon.com/Data-Model-Patterns-Conventions-Thought/dp/0932633293

This is not a book on database design, it is on data modeling.

Before designing databases, it is a good idea to learn how to model the
data.

And, if you want to know how to model data, you need to know how to find
out what the customer wants.  This book is on data warehousing, but it is
the full lifecycle, including interviews of the people that know what data
the application needs to succeed.

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Warehouse-Lifecycle-Toolkit/dp/0470149779/

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com