RE: How the optimizer handles a range of values

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Steve Wales <sjwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:15:35 +0000

On Dec 20, 2012 4:06 PM, "Steve Wales" <sjwales@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A better understanding of what the optimizer does is on my "to do" list
for
> the coming year.

You wont be alone. Partly because there's always more oddities (I know
Jonathan Lewis tends to refer to edge cases but I'm not entirely happy with
that term, at least not without an explanation of what the edge is). Partly
because almost certainly 12c and the next 11.2 patch set will make
interesting changes.

I'd recommend starting with Wolfgang Breitlings paper and then getting a
copy of Jonathan's optimizer book. *and running the examples*. Good luck.