Re: How many of you use S.A.M.E?

  • From: amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bryan Thomas" <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:45:12 +0100

Hi

Its Symmetrix, DMX XXX not sure about the model. It's not that new, probably
2.5 years.

Regarding the slices, the EMC guy told me that this ship the storage that
way only when customers are in hurry, usually they do better jobs he said.

BTW I also heard quite a few time that disabling the write cache improves
perormance but is that ritten anywhere? Imagine I tell the SAN admin to
disable the cache he would probably say... "WTF are you talking about" :-P

Thanks

Alex

On 2/2/07, Bryan Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Alex,

Are you using a Clariion or a Symetrix?  There is a big difference in how
these are configured.

I mainly have experience setting up Clariions.

A Meta is probably a Meta LUN – made up of multiple LUN's.  The Meta-LUN
allow you to add drives to LUN without having to reconfigure the OS.

As for performance, it seems that you do have an I/O issue.  This is
probably due to not enough spindles.  You really need more disks.  The
Meta-LUNs and SAME just try and spread the load across all of your available
spindles.

If you are using 120 Disks in a RAID 1+0 configuration with 256 GB drives,
you probably have 10k speed spindles.  This is slow in this day and age.
You can do approximately 100 IOPS per disk for a total of 12000 IOPS.  If
your applications require more than that, you have an I/O issue.  SAME or
Meta will not solve the underlying issue of not enough disks.

You really need to size your SAN these days based on I/O's per second
(IOPS) not space.  The disks are getting larger, but not necessarily
faster.  Check to make sure your cache is turned on.  I have seen huge
performance hits from the Clariion cache being disabled.

If you have a symetrix, everything is a slice across all disks in the
box.  That is just the way it works.  Of course you have a much larger cache
with the Sym too, but that's another discussion in itself.

I hope this helps,

Bryan

Bryan Thomas

Senior Consultant and Practice Manager