Re: How long to keep archive logs?

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janine@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:30:00 -0400

You need to decide on a different policy first, retention will fall out of
that. The real questions are 1) do you wish point in time recovery? if so
then you'll need archive logs between the last backup before the point in
time to which you recover and the recovery point. 2) How far back in time do
you wish to consider recovering to? A day, a week, a year, forever. You'll
need to keep backups and all archive logs for this period - you may of
course backup archive logs themselves and then delete the logs to manage
space. Many businesses surprisingly will choose to only consider recovery to
the previous backup time, or close of business the previous day. I strongly
suggest that you agree those decisions and then implement a strategy for
backups and archive management that meets them and is robust to backup
failure (usually this means only delete logs from before s backup and only
when that backup is successful.

Niall Litchfield

On Apr 20, 2010 3:08 PM, "Janine Sisk" <janine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here comes another one of those extremely newbie questions...

I have turned on archive logging for the first time, so of course I now have
large archive log files piling up.

I currently do my backups via the caveman begin/end backup method, because
it works very well with Amazon EC2's snapshot feature.  I eventually plan to
implement RMAN backups as well, but have not done it yet.

I have gathered from the reading I have done that archive logs do not need
to be kept once a backup has been taken, but I'm not sure if that applies to
the type of backups I'm doing or if it is only true if RMAN is involved.  It
seems logical that I would not need them;  if I needed to recover back to
before the last snapshot, I would just restore that and be done with it.

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable deletion strategy would be for these
log files?

thanks,

janine