RE: How extensively do you use dbms_application_info ?

  • From: kristian@xxxxxxxx
  • To: Leng.Kaing@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:24:46 +0200 (CEST)

> Are there any performance overheads in over-using this?

A year ago, I had my Java developers to use this package and include their
classname as the module, just so we could distinguish the resource usage
from different java-apps when looking at a statspack report. Since
different classes shared the same connections in the connection pool, they
had to call this package each time they would execute a sql (it was pretty
easy implemented with a customized preparedStatement method). However, the
call to dbms_application_info ended up being almost the most cpu-intensive
statement in the database...

We still use it, but not in the same way. And we've parameterized it in
the apps so we can turn it on or off whenever needed.

/Kristian