RE: How do you think about Oracle's EC2/S3?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kamusis@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle_l" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 08:15:10 -0400

Leyi,

        Call me old fashioned if you want, but having worked in an
outsource shop I think doing something like this for anyone puts their
data at risk.  Outsource or cloud provider shops are not the most stable
in terms of employee turnover and they have no idea of what is going out
the door with each employee, nor do they appear to care.  Add to that
the decrease in cost for x86 Intel platforms and Linux and a entry level
shop would do well to have their own equipment with Oracle SE One or
Standard edition if they wanted.  They might, though, find it more cost
effective to just install a Linux server with PostgreSql and call it
done.  No long term commitments that are or could become overly
expensive.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader