Re: How do you refresh your databases? - Slightly going off topic.... only slightly..... a bit, yeah a bit.... know what I mean, wink wink.....?

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

I find that Oracle databases find coke more refreshing than Pepsi by 3 to 1
myself.

Exadata requires that you refresh with VOLT (or an equivalent energy drink) at
minimum. It's in the manual. Really, go look. ;)

I once knew an Oracle Database that had a drinking problem. It slurred it's
query results.

SQL>select last_name from my_names;

LASSSTT_NNAAMMEE (OH MY HARD DRIVE)
Free.... Freem .... No... I can do it.... Freeman (hic)
K    .... Kyttt   .... Kyttteele...ugh my head.... Kyte (hic)

2 rooooowwwsss retuurrnneeedd

SQL>select region, sum(all_dollars) answer from sales group by region;
ORA-304230 - Sorry, I'm sleeping off a hangover right now. Please try again
later.
ORA-203933 - Attempt to force calculation when BA index is > 2.0.
ORA-230043 - Hard drive spinning - unable to summarize without falling over.
ORA-201113 - Just saw a pink flying TRS-80 Model One.

-- To correct the issue is the hidden parameter I found on dba-something.com
somewhere....
alter system set _take_aspirin_mode=on;

I used it, but then the CPU started to have bleeding problems.

So I opt for the _use_tylenol_mode in those cases.

Bottom line, some databases need interventions because of bad design. Some
databases need interventions because they need some good administration TLC.
Some databases just need interventions. If you know of such a database, please
be a friend and stop it before it kills some data with a hard drive crash. The
bit you save may represent you or one of your family.

I hear the Betty Ford Clinic is opening the Turing wing for the worst cases.

Man.... what a day.

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.