Re: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx, raindoctor@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:05:19 -0700 (PDT)

I think these questions (and ones like them) are right on for finding the right
technical person. That is part of the problem I think, in the past we just try
to make sure they are a technical fit, forgetting that things like work ethic
and being able to make it socialy make a difference. I personally don't mind
the questions at all. I'd suggest that those who *do* need to reassess their
response to this line of questioning, because in the end it makes a difference
with respect to the kinds of people you will be working with. Maybe you don't
like them any more than you like blood tests. However, like blood tests they
help determine some basic things about the person you need to be aware of.

What good is a canidate who is an OCM with 20 years experience, consulting
experience with all the right places and who used to work for Oracle and
actually developed the Oracle Kernel code for the base RDBMS (I don't know
anyone who meets this description) if he has no work ethic? We all know the
type. They make more work for you, never deliver on time and upset customers.

What good is a canidate if they can't relate to the people around him or if
they are a cube hermit. What good is the best modeler in the world if they are
narsisistic and in-capible of social graces? What good is a DBA if his way of
dealing with conflict is to get loud, obnoxious and threatening or perhaps
instead he just gives up and hides rather than fight for the truth. What good
is the smartest guy in the world if he can't manage to keep organized? All of
these types of people can be trouble in an orginization. Hiring someoen with
really negative social issues is a troublesome thing because getting rid of
them can be hard. I'd prefer to hire the right person out of the gate the first
time.

Of course, none of us are perfect, so what you look for are the extreeme cases.
Those who clearly will be a problem fit in the orginization. All of these
things, in the end, contribute to the success of an individual and,
resultingly, the success of an orginization. As a result, these are very valid
questions. I've probably interviewed 40-50 people over the past year for
different positions we are trying to hire. Some had the technical ability but
did not have the social ability. Others had social abilitties (with lots of
technical potential) and not all the technical skills we need. We have hired
the later, becuase they can be trained and given opportunity they will run with
it. I do not believe we have hired one of the former.

In the end, managers or those involved in the review process can't just be
techno-wenies (guilty as charged here) when it comes to the hiring process. We
can't just sit on our technical high horses and assume there is nothing to the
"management" arts when it comes to hiring (we all like to bash management....
it's easy to do, right?). When we sit in the technical chair, we often don't
respect the managment chair. Once you sit in that beast, you look at things a
bit differently (if you are a good manager) and realize that there is more to
the overall atmosphere than technical geekdom. It's a shame, but it's true.

Cheers!!

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You must be LDS to apply (please don't
write to me and tell me I'm breaking the law. A church can choose to hire
members of it's own faith. Look it up if you don't believe me).

From: Gints Plivna
Date: 16/8/08 19:51

Just today spotted this blog entry:
http://smallbusiness.logoworks.com/newsletter/index.php/03/2007/02/14-killer-questions-to-ask-in-your-next-interview/

I think at least some of these questions are quite interesting.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu

--
Andrew W. Kerber