How do you conduct technical interviews ?

  • From: "Dba DBA" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:01:58 -0400

I am familiar with appropriate technical questions. The hardest part for me
in interviewing is finding out of the candidate has the right type of
personality. My ideal person is a problem solver who does not complain if
there is a problem but is helpful and tries to fix it. It is also a person
who does not perennially complain if they don't get there way (even if there
way was a better decision, decisions are made and some times mistakes are
made). Also, someone who isn't just a DBA. For example, lets say we have an
OS or network problem and Oracle can't start. The Sys or network admin is
busy or unavailable. The DBA can either try to look into the problem and
diagnose it for them or sit around do nothing, but surf the internet. I find
alot of people complain and say "I am not a sys admin". I prefer people who
are willing to learn knew things. Same thing goes for developers. They may
not know oracle, but will look for new things, then run them by the DBA and
go "what do yout think of this option ?" or try to learn how to tune
queries. They may not be good at it, but they try.

The kind of people I don't like are the cancer type. One thing goes wrong.
They completely stop working. They send one email and then surf the
internet. Make little to no effort to follow up. Someone gets back to them,
its not perfect. One more email and back to surfing the internet.

There are alot of people like that. How do you find pro-active, smart
people, with positive attitudes ?