Re: How do Oracle DBA's look or behave like when they reach their golden years?

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:49:17 -0700

On 25/02/2014 11:29 AM, Fred Habash wrote:
So, one has done Oracle for 20 or more years and reached Oracle 'nervana' . now what?

How does such a long career in Oracle bring about life satisfaction (or not)?
Nothing in life is static, not even the DBA.

I started with this stuff in 1984, Oracle v4, but had plenty of years as contract programmer before that. The things that have kept me going:

- never a dull moment ... if it starts getting dull, I'm not checking new features; - rarely a repeat ... I'm not a DBA, I'm an AAGG (All Around Good Guy) as is any serious DBA.

I relish learning, and I enjoy helping others, so I now do a lot of conferences and OTN Tours. That is pretty cool and very satisfying.

Besides, since a large number of IT workers don't seem to [want to, or have time to] read or learn from history, the mistakes of the 90's and early 00's are showing up again, and us Greybeards can sit around the fire telling old stories for a fee, and appear at least somewhat smart. ;-)

/Hans