RE: How can I get the BBED password?

  • From: "Parker, Matthew" <matthewp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:21:55 -0700

An excellent observation Tanel.
Abraham, what exactly are you looking to accomplish? The standard dump =
utilities of Oracle provide most of what you may be looking for. Out of =
all the block repairs I have had to do over the years, the only thing =
bbed has provided me is the ability to run a verify on the block I have =
repaired before I replace the block in the file, since dbv requires the =
block to be a part of the file, otherwise I find the tool to be less =
than useful.=20

In the world there are about 7 Oracle BDE/RDBMS development people who =
can edit blocks well and only 1 or 2 others who understand and try to =
edit the redo stream, and in my dealings with most of them they have =
their own tools because bbed is archaic. The lower end Support personnel =
who do use bbed, normally do not have the skills or knowledge to edit =
the blocks in the first place.

If you are trying to understand block structures, then you should read =
the documentation and the many papers that are available. There is no =
single source of information that will tell you everything and there are =
a lot of flags and pointer values that are not documented anywhere but =
in the code itself. In the last year working on lots of block =
corruptions from Linux induced problems, almost every time, the actual =
people who can edit blocks well, had to reference the code for =
determination of some of the flags. It is just the reality that =
everyone, can't know everything.
So back to the question, what are you truly trying to find out? The tool =
has no training mode and it does not document the oracle block structure =
for you.=20