Re: How can I copy a database to a new machine using RMAN?

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: czeiler@xxxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:28:06 +0000

Hi rman duplicate is quite smart but the command syntax is odd.
Duplicate does indeed restore and them recover. You will see what it
actually does when you run it.  In this case target means the source
db and auxiliary means the new db.  You need the backups accessible in
the same location on the new box as the old one. So your rman
connection is to both the primary to read the control file for backup
locations and the new db (as auxiliary) . Then you run your script.

On 10/30/08, Claudia Zeiler <czeiler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We have to move a database to a new machine. We are using Oracle 10.2.0.4 on
> both machines.  Machine1  (source) is AIX.  Machine 2 (target) is Solaris.
> Both are big-endian  I am trying to do it using RMAN.  As a proof of concept
> I am trying to copy test database (DB1) to a second machine.  The trouble is
> that machine2
> already has a DB (Test_DB).  I have made a full hot backup of DB1 and copied
> the backupset files to Machine2.  On Machine2 I have set the ORACLE_SID=DB1.
>  Now my instructions say I should issue
>
> RUN
> {
> allocate auxiliary channel c1 DEVICE TYPE disk;
> DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE to test nofilenamecheck ;
> }
>
> However, I feel that I should be doing a RESTORE command, on Machine 2.
> Also, I am afraid to proceed with any command because I don't want to trash
> DB2a which is already on Machine2.
>
> Has anyone done this sort of thing?   Can you please advise me?
>
> Thank you.
> Claudia Zeiler

> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Niall Litchfield