How best to get Oracle to divulge "proprietary information"

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Freelists.org" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:58:43 -0500

I am sure many of you, like me, have been befuddled when Oracle refuses to
answer a question because of "proprietary information". Has anyone had any
luck in arguing, convincing, persuading, bribing or otherwise cajoling
Oracle in this regard? Does/can IOUG sometimes leverage "scientific"
arguments to disclose information for the user community's benefit?

I completely understand that there is an issue of intellectual property
rights and that Oracle does not want some script kiddie to duplicate key
features. Yet, I do not understand why Oracle does not offer more
information to DBAs so that they can understand the kernel better. I have a
hard time believing that this is merely a ploy to keep Oracle Support in
service with money in its pockets - it seems to me that Oracle Support is
already overworked as it is, and they could use a little help from
well-meaing users. I cannot tell you how hard I laugh when a Support Analyst
quotes Jonathan Lewis (or some other non-Oracle employee big name).

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

--
Charles Schultz