Re: Hot backup question

  • From: "Daniel W. Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: William.Blanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:56:57 -0600

Data is still being written to the datafiles while the tablespace is in hotbackup mode. The main change is that the redo written for any table/index in a tablespace in hot backup mode is not just the redo vector, but the whole block. This prevents split blocks causing unrecoverability. The impact is primarily seen in increased i/o (both in redo and the backup process) competing for system resources.

On 09/24/2010 04:49 PM, Blanchard, William G wrote:

Having spent all of my time using RMAN for backup/recovery, I find myself at a disadvantage when it comes to hot/cold backups. My questions is, what is the impact on users during a hot backup? My guess is that either the DB Writer doesn't write to the tablespace while it's in backup mode but resumes writing when the tablespace is taken out of hot backup mode. Can anyone clear up my confusion?

Thank you,

WGB