Re: Host Enterprise Manager

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:45:32 -0600

This is mostly true, but not quite completely accurate.

There are numerous ways to implement RAC storage:

1.  Clustered Filesystem (as mentioned by Finn)
2.  ASM  (also as mentioned by Finn)
3.  Shared raw partitions  (still requires clusterware; most would find ASM
preferable).  Well, these were still supported with 10gR2...
4.  NFS  (with numerous caveats and restrictions -- not just "any" NFS will
do)
5.  Several other technologies -- relatively exotic and usually very
expensive.  Not the sort of thing for first-time RAC implementations.

As I do very little with RAC myself, that's as far as I will go on this
topic.  There are lots of other people on this list who can answer RAC
questions better than I.

Now, as for Oliver's *current* configuration -- Virtual IP addresses really
would be a good idea.  More formalized active-passive cluster software
(e.g., HACMP) use them for several very good reasons, "convenience" being
pretty much the last of them.  Without using virtual IPs, you are likely to
find that your database connection times *increase enormously* when one of
the cluster nodes is offline and not responding to the network.  That is,
one of the main purposes of the virtual IPs is to prevent network timeouts.

Anyway, if you choose not to use VIPs, you can probably still work around
your OEM "problem", with more-or-less the method I sketched.  Just remove
the configuration file built by the OEM agent (once you find it (sorry I
cannot say where it is) and restart the agent.  Or perhaps equally good --
just ignore the host information (mis-)reported by RAC.  :-)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead