Re: High shared pool usage

  • From: Brent Day <coloradodba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:45:45 -0600

We have PS FSCM as well and had similar issues in 10.2.0.4. After moving to
11.2.0.2, I made the following changes to help with this issue:
1. cursor_sharing=force (not supported by PS, but helps).
2. sga=26G
3. shared_pool=3g
4. turned off auto memory management and set other parameters for
environment (buffer cache, large pool, etc) as appropriate.

These may work well in 10.2.0.4, but test and use at your own risk.

Prior to these changes we were seeing 6-8G consumed by the shared_pool.

From my research is seems like shared_pool is consumed because the app
developers do not have bind variables turned on for the various PSAE steps.
My understanding is that is set on each "step" of an App Engine process so
it might be worth checking with developers. We found that changing the PSAE
steps to turn on bind variables breaks some of the processes so proceed with
caution.

Again test any changes in your environment before pushing to production and
these settings should be used at your own risk.

Brent