Re: High ping times on interconnect for Cisco UCS servers....

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:14:12 -0800

Ping:
"the surprising result was that for nearby hosts (<< 1 ms) the
> times ping gives you are more to do with ping code and CPU thread
> scheduling rather than network latency."

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/dtrace-discuss/2008-March/005680.html

I don't particularly trust ping for low latency testing ie under 1ms. If
ping is over 1ms regularly or dropping packets then that's another
situation.

I typically see 300us back to back on machines in the lab. Occasionally I
see 150us but never looked exactly into why. When I run network performance
tests the test run as fast as would be expected.

For network testing I've been using 3 tools

   - netio - simple good push button throughput test
   - netperf - more nobs and whistles, a bit overwhelming
   - ttcp - java based net test tool

I want to try out iperf but just haven't gotten around to it.

For netperf and ttcp, I've written some shell scripts to drive load. My
ttcp scripts are a little further along capturing netstat info but ttcp has
a lot of java stack overhead that influences timings.
Using netperf is much lighter.
With ttcp all you need, beside java, is on github

https://github.com/khailey/ttcp

With netperf, you will probably need to compile the client end if you want
to get the stats I'm parsing in the shell script. I put the basic binaries
and shell scripts up on

https://github.com/khailey/netperf

Also the netperf.sh script doesn't capture the netstat data which is useful
for looking at retransmissions. The code from ttcp.sh could be plugged
directly into netperf.sh to capture netstats, I just haven't done it yet

- Kyle Hailey
http://dboptimizer.com