High availability/contingency for DNS?

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:24:49 +0000

Good evening (or good morning),

Reading (and writing!) a lot aboud database high availability I have
always wondered how companies set up their DNS server(s) to provide
resilience.

In many cases DNS failures have very negative impact on Oracle
databases: either it's not possible to resolve addresses which is the
same as a denial of service, to runtime problems with existing sessions.

I guess a HA or contingency strategy depends on the DNS server used, and
I dread the majority of companies use M$ AD for this. I can think of
setting up a company "root" DNS with multiple slaves per subdomain in
bind, but that's just me thinking.

Thanks for sharing,

Martin
--