High Memory Usage

  • From: Stalin <stalinsk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 01:02:26 -0700

All,

I'm trying to figure out high memory usage on one of the DB servers we have
and wondering if pga_aggregate_target could ever exceed from what's
allocated.

We have sga_target set to 16G and pga_a_t set to 2G, however from statspack,
i see pga usage to be close to 3G. Is that normal. I have posted relevant
sections from statspack for reference.  Though i see only 59% of total
memory being used, vmstat reports 29G being used. Any idea what could be
causing it. This node is a dedicated DB server and only one DB runs on it.

Memory Statistics                       Begin          End
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                ------------ ------------
                  Host Mem (MB):     32,640.0     32,640.0
                   SGA use (MB):     16,315.7     16,315.7
                   PGA use (MB):      2,854.4      2,981.5
    % Host Mem used for SGA+PGA:         58.7         59.1
Instance Activity Stats
workarea memory allocated                   0        6,043

Statistic                                      Total     per Second    per
Trans
workarea executions - onepass                      0            0.0
 0.0
workarea executions - optimal                  7,635            2.1
 0.0

--
Thanks,

Stalin