RE: High Availability -- True 7x24x365

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:49:07 -0400

One thing that I believe comes above all the technology pieces that we
can buy from vendors is smart people who can use those technologies and
engineer solutions to provide this kind of solutions to the business. We
have been using some state of the art technologies from Sun, EMC,
Veritas and Oracle but due to lack of skilled people in the storage
area, we have suffered a lot of pain in the past. One such experience
was when an individual mistakenly restored a copy of BCV to our live
mission critical production database in the middle of the day causing a
lot of pain and hours of downtime. Sun's large iron boxes alone do not
provide high availability as they are susceptible to crash upon a CPU
failure. So, the larger the box you have, the more CPUs are there and
the greater is the chance of a CPU panic. We have suffered this quite a
few times over the years on Sun's 15K servers.