RE: High Availability Options

  • From: "Amaral, Rui" <Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx'" <jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:23:26 -0400

There is another reason for using things like udev which we have been equating
with persistent device naming... and that is the limited availability of the
major-minor numbers for devices. I have had the odd time, when I was first
starting out with this stuff, of devices "disappearing" completely which is
tied to the dynamic assignment of those numbers to devices. This is briefly
outlined in the following from one of the creators of udev:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs

persistent device naming is also persistent device assignment which would allow
ASM to track down the /dev tree to find it's disks.

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group