RE: High Availability Options

  • From: "Amaral, Rui" <Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Paul.McManus@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Paul.McManus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:19:00 -0400

those are the two options that Oracle is recommending because they simplify the
process for admins.

If multipath then you can use the /dev/mapper/mpath* since they are persistent.
They are grouped by WWID and the bindings file so those "should" not change.
The ones in /dev/dm-* usually do so never use those. You can also use
/dev/disk/by-id/* as well since those are also persistent based on the the WWID
of the luns. Both of those require a script to change the permissions on boot
but that is easy enough to do. I am sure there are a couple of other ways but
those are two that I normally use. I used the following as a reference for it
(it's RedHat since those are systems that I am mainly focused on but I am sure
other distros have similar things):

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/persistent_naming.html

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator