Re: Hierarchical table design, child has multiple parent

  • From: Peter Robson <peter.robson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:58:35 +0000

This confuses me, as it looks as though you may have 'parent' and
'child' juxtaposed. Surely, to use the analogy of the cake, the cake
is the parent, and the ingredients are the children, rather than
vice-versa?

No matter - if you are indeed simply dealing with one-to-many (the
classic parent-child), then, as already advised, the BOM is your first
port of call.

If you are dealing with a many-to-many situation, then take care to
resolve the dependencies in your logical model first, before you get
anywhere near any physical implementation.

peter
edinburgh