Re: Hierarchical table design, child has multiple parent

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanjay.khangarot@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:46:24 -0800

Do some research on BOM, also known as Bill Of Materials.

This is quite a common design and programming problem, that is
not always well implemented.

If the depth of the structure is known, and it will not change, you
may wish to implement with separate table for each level. That does
not work well though if one of the parents can also be a child.
(sub-assemblies)

If the depth is not known, you will likely want to use 1+N tables
(where N may be 0) and heirarchical queries.  In this case you
would do well to implement on 10g as it has new features for
heirarchical queries.

--
Jared Still
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l