Re: Hiding data model

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 06:25:17 -0700

As the old saying goes, "Security by obscurity, isn't".

On 1/28/15 6:10, Sriram Kumar wrote:
Hello Harmandeep,

Hiding data model could not be implemented through VPD. I knew of a product which used to have place holder names instead of real tables and columns so that outsiders can't understand the table names or column names

e.g

create table emp
(
emp_id number,
ename varchar2(100),
hire_date date,
dept_id number)

would have a table structure similar to

create table T001
(
T1 number,
T2 varchar2(100),
T3 date,
T4 number)

biggest problem was training the newer folks in the development team to understand them and over a period it overweighs the benefit of hiding

hope it helps

best regards

sriram

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Harmandeep Singh <singh.bedi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:singh.bedi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Experts,

    We are having data model for our product, which we do not want to
    expose to our customers. That is we want even the DBA of customer
    with sys privileges should not understand /access the data model(
    like table definitions, columns ).

    I am aware of options like VPD, which is data level security
    feature as per my understanding.

    Please let me know your thoughts

    Thanks,
    Harmandeep Singh