Re: Hiding data model

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:26:00 -0500

Indeed.

  There have been many times where I have contacted software vendors to
report errors in their application code, or even their design.  And to
supply the fixes.

   Why would you choose to cut yourself off from thousands of free
troubleshooters, some of whom are probably better than any you can afford
to keep on your own payroll?

   That aside, a common side-activity for DBAs is to *evaluate* potential
software purchases.  When faced with competing products, one with a
well-documented data model and the other with a "closed" or "obfuscated"
data model, I will always favour the open one.  The better I am able to
understand a product, the better I am able to support it.

   You can be certain that an obfuscated data dictionary will shut you out
of at least some sales opportunities.