Re: Hibernate and Oracle

  • From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:07:49 +0100

When I worked on a project using Hibernate, it generated lots of realy ugly
queries, often joining 30 or 40 tables. If a web page required data from
several tables, it would try to get all the data in a single query, even if
there were many intermediate tables. If it could find a relationship, no
matter how remote, it was going to use it.

I'm told that this is done when one chooses the "eager" mode;
there's another "lazy" mode that would load the child tables data
only at access time. Of course we'll investigate further - but I
could make good use of any early advice or pointer to any good
doc about Hibernate features for the Oracle perf tuner / re-designer.

About the suggestions about using 10046/statspack - I was
planning to do that (and the Java guys are already compiling
SQL logs using their own tools) - but it's important IMHO,
before jumping headlong in tkprof/10046 etc, to get an high-level
understanding of the architecture of Hibernate, again in relation
to Oracle.

Anything can (and will) help.

--
Alberto Dell'Era